View Single Post
Old 2008-02-26, 05:18   Link #667
arkhangelsk

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmiralTigerclaw View Post
I'm going to work on some components here.

*You will need A's ep 7, and StrikerS ep. 12*

I will attempt to range check and speed check Nanoha's buster. I think there's enough data for it. This should give us a clear idea of the range of Nanoha's abilities by the end of Strikers.

First up.

Divine buster extension. Target is Vita. Shot travel time is six seconds.

Vita is short, probably about a meter high. So she's got about the height of a 1 meter upper torso target from a firing range. Her size on screen is probably variable since it pixelates her and doesn't give us a definate range. But my MK I eyeball says between 300 and 400 meters.
Actually, I've ranged on Vita looking back at Nanoha. It might have looked long, but actually stadia-ranging it says Nanoha is about 5px wide on a 640px wide image (using the width of the target is less precise then using the height, but more reliable because they are fewer ways to alter your profile greatly in width). Given a focal length of 35mm, the FOV of the image is 54.43 degrees and the subtended arc is thus 25.515 arcminutes (5/640 of 54.43 degrees). Given a 40cm width (which is generous, because that's my rough shoulder to shoulder width, and I'm definitely bigger than 9-year old Nanoha), it works out to only 54m. Even at a 85mm focal length (long end of "normal" perspective), it is only 122m. To get a 300m range, the focal length will need to be 210mm and the FOV only 9.8 degrees, which is definitely a zoom (forced perspective).

Quote:
~100 m = 16 m/s

(Since I want to say it's somewhere between 300 and 400 meters distance, I want to go and mark my favorite velocity as 60 m/s)
The first is the only one that is within the valid zone, unless you want to claim forced perspective.

Quote:
The next scene I use to quantify is Nanoha and fate's shot on Deici and Quattro. The trouble with this is 7arcs discrepencies. Which is more 'canon'. The fast panshot showing nanoha mere tens of meters away? Or the following calculations sheet?
Will have to actually look at the thing, since probably the fast panshot already discouraged most long-distance claimers. Here follows preliminary comments.

Quote:
If I fix Nanoha's shot velocity at any of the following, the five seconds between her shot firing, and collission with Fate's Trident Smasher attack at the target point...

16 m/s = 80 meters
If you want to use shot velocity methods, then it is 1.

Quote:
My personal favorite marks it at 300 meters even. Which would be about right for having to use a scoped attack to make the shot really easy. Personal oppinion though.
Actually, at over 100m, your problems are not limited to using scopes or no scopes. It is really a problem of stabilization without stocks and shoulders.

Quote:
Personally, I would move to discard the panshot for range estimating since even an insanely slow shot still puts her beyond what she was visually shown to be at.
Demonstrate that.

Quote:
PLUS, it was indicated by the brief scope shot that she was attacking at range.
We've learned from the previous example that scopes are used for as little as 50m so that's no help.

Quote:
I would put this forward along with the logical assumption that both herself and fate would be clear out of the way of Hayate's diabolic emmision.
The diabolic emission is over. Quite frankly, the whole scene's setup and intentions (if we proceed on this front) actually favors them being close in, giving Quattro and Dieci the impression they are in a No-Escape zone. If they were N-hundred meters away (dots in the sky at most), that pressure will be non-existent (because if I assume Nanoha and Fate are special cases, Vita has already demonstrated conclusively in A's that 100m is an extreme shot for Midchildrans, and that will be the norms that Quattro and Dieci will work on.) and the two of them will continue running.

Quote:
In the same scene, we note that during the scope shot, Fate herself is BVR. Only the twinkle of her trident smasher is visable, and its alignment is above the target trio. (Nanoha must be lower to the ground.)
Not having studied the pictures yet, here is a possible alternate from the words. Nanoha saw a glint of sunlight...

Quote:
Since we know Fate was BVR in the scope shot, (Small enough that the zoomed in range still didn't spot her, or that the center twinkle overlapped her.) I'm going to have to rule 16 m/s and 33 m/s speed to range... since you would still be able to see her at 160, and 300 meters. If only a dot in the latter case.
Not having studied the picture, again, you are already making a methodology error. Remember that the range to Fate->Nanoha is longer than Fate->Numbers.

If I figure Nanoha is 160m from target, and so's Fate, they will be 320m apart from each other (which on a 35mm focal length, will place Fate just at the subpixel region and thus definitely a valid target for being "deleted" off screen - though even a 2px or even 4px wide target is probably fair game for deletion if the artist's feeling lazy and we all know how lazy 7Arcs was when drawing StrikerS - problem with trying to analyze cartoons), but they'll still only be shooting at targets 160m away.

Quote:
The longest range shots we (I) can find, is the Blaster 3 Divine Buster shot through the cradle, which is also ten seconds long, and the Airport Fire shot, which has no end point from which to calculate. Only a wide field shot showing the blast blowing a hole out of the building and off into the night beyond the height of the towers with ease. Scaling is troublesome though. We only know the hole blown was significantly many times Nanoha's size, and that the airport is extremely large.
Both shots depend greatly on how large you assume the targets to be. Frankly, an airport is generally built low. Even the tower will likely be no more than 100m above ground.