View Single Post
Old 2012-10-28, 04:40   Link #1354
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
@Quadratic and Dengar

I considered making point-by-point replies to you, but I felt it would be quicker and (hopefully) more effective to simply get to what I think is the crux of our disagreement.

What I find highly disagreeable about the positions you both seem to be taking is that you're acting like the Sibyl system is just 100% flawless and it can't be held accountable at all for any social injustice we've seen in this show.

And frankly, that strikes me as a bit of an extremist position. It makes me think of the old NRA line of "Guns don't kill people, people kill people". Ergo, you can't blame gun violence on guns.

Admittedly, there is a kernel of logic to that. Yes, guns have to be used improperly by humans in order to cause more harm than good. Nonetheless, the very existence of guns makes certain types of violence (particularly lethal types at that) possible when it would otherwise not be possible.

Even if the Sibyl system is just spitting out suggestions, and it's totally 100% up to humans to decide what to do with them, the Sibyl system itself makes certain types of social injustice possible that would otherwise not be possible (similar to the gun and certain types of violence).

The most obvious example of this is, of course, Kagari being condemned from the age of five years old to either be used as a dog or be left in isolation. That does not happen without a Sibyl system in place.

The Sybil system might not be the only reason it happens, but it is an essential part of the reason for it happening.

Even if humans don't always have to go with Sybil's recommendations, those recommendations obviously carry considerable weight, and in some cases they doom people.

The Sibyl System itself deserves at least some blame for the societal problems faced by the world of Psycho-Pass, just like guns deserve at least some blame for gun violence.
While I agree with you with regards to the injustices we've witnessed, I have to ask: what do we do after we blame Sybil?

I think it has the potential for being a wonderful tool. If it existed, it wouldn't be responsible to just ignore it and pretend we didn't know, couldn't know all it could tell us.

So, while I'm all for stricter guidelines in its uses (treating the hue as a kind of medical secret, for example...) and demanding better treatment of people who're only "guilty" of high CC without ever harming anyone, I'm not sure what you'd recommend.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote