View Single Post
Old 2010-09-29, 13:40   Link #2183
user112168
Disabled By Request

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnuskn View Post
No, that's just my personal name for that "higher plane" where the three ( and Brera ) were able to communicate with each other, including distant healing and giving out highly unnecessary slaps do dying persons.
I was just joking that your higher musical planes phrase seemed to describe Mac7 in a nutshell After you said "Macross isn't about ..."

EDIT : And I was just sayin' Alto can fly all around the planet, with the earring, while hearing Sheryl+Ranka singing, not saying there necessarily going to be repeating the mystical scene from ep 25.
Quote:
But that's your very personal interpretation and isn't supported by any kind of evidence.
I'm saying the movie will end like the series does. You need evidence that they're going to change it. I'm also saying what-you-see-is-what-you-get for the series end. You need evidence that what's seen at series end isn't the real end. How is saying the ending we got is the real one a "very personal" interpretation?
Quote:
I'm basing this other option on the series of events which showed Alto getting more sensitive to the survival aspect of the plight of Frontier ( us vs. them ), the fragility of the place he lives on and his newfound appreciation for it. While Frontier was mostly about the love triangle, there was a quite noticeable undercurrent of how man effects the balance of life and can easily tip it over into an approaching extinction, which was noticed by several bloggers when the series was running. Sheryl arrives in this case because it is the perfect moment to stoke her doubts, which she already had when Alto made his declaration to stay with her just after he had gained knowledge of her illness.
Quote:
Originally Posted by me19
I think his line "pretending not to notice a lot of things" doesn't have anything to do with the girls. It's more like his responsibility to Frontier as a soldier since all this time he's been fighting all along for Ranka, and now that Frontier is in whack, he can't ignore it. Just my two cents. (that's worth a million)
While I agree with Sheryl's arrival stoking her doubts , I think it's also alluding to Alto's pretend obliviousness through the "pretending not to notice" line coinciding with seeing a glimpse of Sheryl. The timing backs this up. The shot of Sheryl's hand opening the door coincides 100% with the line i quoted, lasting about 2 seconds. Then Alto speaks for a further 45 seconds before we see Sheryl again. There is no specific reason Sheryl's hand opening the door had to coincide exactly with the quote.
The only relevant line Sheryl actually needed to overhear was the "Kill Ranka"/"So this is your Love" lines near the end. She could have first been sighted, 40,35,30,25,20 seconds before this final line is heard without any difficulty. Along with Michel's various series comments on the matter, I think this backs up my interpretation of what Alto was alluding to. They could even have left the "hand opening the door" off completely, and had Sheryl shown at the end, that'd make no difference at all to your interpretations.

This is no way conflicts with the other elements in the conversation you've noticed.
Quote:
It's not as if the creators wanted to resolve the triangle, after all. That they still failed so badly at keeping it even is a bit of a blemish on their otherwise excellent work.
But, as I said before, it's just another option, one which actually could be interwoven with the more romantic options.
Failure implies an intent other than that which is superficially portrayed, so Alto could still be intended to have romantic feelings for Ranka, but that was just abysmally portrayed.
The second half of the series has Brera as Ranka's bodyguard, and her under government protection, which reduced Alto's ability to access Ranka whether he want to or not (hence having to sneak in, in ep 17). Awkward moments prove nothing about someones inner feelings.
Quote:
Which makes exactly what point? [...]
My point was that the interpretations I was being given of the scene didn't gel 100%. I have come to a much better understanding of how this scene fits in now, and managed to decipher a cryptic line or two. I'm really not interested in discussing who-loved-who more.
Quote:
Well, until someone translates the light novels, which were told from Altos point of view.
Now that would be helpful

Last edited by user112168; 2010-09-29 at 16:55.