View Single Post
Old 2007-05-01, 22:54   Link #14
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Quote:
Finally, imagine this: How much of this videocard hobbling will gamers put up with before they start turning to the Mac in droves? I know most folks think gaming=Windows still, but now that so much of the graphics optimization works just as well on an Intel Mac as an Intel PC the gap is much smaller. Now go a couple years down the line... if UT2009 or WoW: The Burning Upgrade look better, have higher fps, etc on Macs than on Vista, or at least look the same with a $400 cheaper video card... I don't think it'll really take much of that to push game reviewers into pimping Macs. As the guy who wrote that article noted, what makes money for graphics card makers is gamers. I'd love to see the day when the latest ubercard comes out, and it's only compatible with OSX and Linux. Heh. MIght be a little farfetched, but let's face it: If M$ continues mindlessly on the course they've set, Mac and Linux are going to eat into their share like wolves.
Where I think MShit dominates the computing world is in keeping its users stupid. Do you really think your average gamer would really take the time and sit down to learn how the hell to get his Mac OS to work? (that's without taking into account the extremely high cost of Macs in the first place). People don't want to adapt to something new. They're all good and happy with their "clicky clicky" shit that I'm pretty sure most people would never actually care to sit down for a day or so to learn a whole new OS (like I did last Sunday). How do you think they'll react once they can't find their Start taskbar? Or when they find out their mouse has a single button?

I insist. Most PC users don't want to think or make some extra effort to learn a new OS. They'd rather have more of the same, maybe with some graphical thingy thrown in to give it a new name or something, and pay a bit more for a higher-end hardware (though this is arguable due to the high price of Macs, to keep up with your comparison--I'd rather compare it to Linux, because it's free and a lesser system hog) than to learn everything from the very beginning. And I even think jumping from Windows to Mac is a very small jump (maybe because Mac was my first OS), but still, give some regular user a chair and an iMac, and ask them to do what they usually do in Windows, and watch them suffer. I think they wouldn't even try.

PS: Besides, people usually have this unsettling tendency to think "It's free, then it must suck!" (regarding Linux).

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote