View Single Post
Old 2008-08-13, 14:17   Link #5
Kagami~n
I want to @#$% with--

Send a message via AIM to Kagami~n
British people in American media are often portrayed as snobby and arrogant as well.

There was the Chinese girl Myao from Kazemakase: Tsukikage Ran. Rather than grouchy and aloof, she was endlessly energetic, outgoing, impulsive, and rather dimwitted. She had no accent (that I could hear) and her face/hair was drawn a lot like the Japanese characters, save for the long braid. Her clothing was very obviously Chinese though.

Patricia Martin from Lucky*Star, which is a show that focuses on otaku culture, is representative of a stereotypical American fangirl. She's strawberry blonde and blue-eyed, learned the Japanese language from anime and j-pop, and thinks that all of Japan's most important cultural and historical aspects revolve around anime and manga - that those things are basically what Japan is all about. If someone tries to tell her otherwise, she gets confused. She's also extremely bubbly and a little inconsiderate, as you described. As much as this could seem insulting to an American like me, since they are (playfully) jabbing at us, I can't help but see some truth to her stereotype in a lot of fangirls I've come across.

Now, how about black/african american people at the rare times they're portrayed in anime? Has anyone noticed a stereotype for them?
Kagami~n is offline   Reply With Quote