View Single Post
Old 2007-08-11, 09:27   Link #167
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Tran View Post
My point is that any creature that has the capacity to reason also has the capacity to exercise morality. Animals don't have the former, which is why they're excused from not having the latter.
Yes, but why would they use what we humans call morality? We do for the reasons you cited above, but I don't think they really apply to them. That's why I don't blame them more than I would an animal, or a highly advanced robot who, despite a AI able of reasoning, is not programmed to act "morally".

Quote:
While a certain amount of selfishness is an evolutionary advantage, an utter lack of selflessness produces the very opposite effect.
Evolution is neither all important nor all powerful. Especially for AB. They're a relatively recent creation, and from the point of view of evolution, they're not even a separate species. (Since they come from humans and youmas, and don't reproduce.)

Evolutionary pressures are pretty mild, and if I were them, I'd worry more about overgrazing than about Claymores.
Spoiler for Manga, vol 12:

So, even if cooperative behaviour was better for the "species" as a whole,
Spoiler for Manga, ch 71:
they'd need to desire the welfare of the species. You can't get that through pure logic.