View Single Post
Old 2009-10-20, 10:46   Link #229
momobunny
◔ ◡ ◔
*Artist

I always thought that the Siestas brought a nice new flavor to the story. With a story full of serious characters, cruelty, and dark tones... I found it nice that two really silly girls were introduced to create a sort of counter balance to all of that. Sure they kill, but it's not like they're extremely cruel about it. I kind of felt like the Siestas were cute fun additions to the cast, my favorite was Siesta 45.

But I never really got attached to the Stakes, so my view is different. Actually, I think I was kind of sick of the Stakes at first because I saw them EVERYWHERE and only two of them were really shown in EP2 (and their scenes in EP3 were kinda minor, so I felt like everybody was making a big deal over nothing. Also, the people went crazy over them as soon as Asmo appeared for like... a split second and turned into a stake. ^^; ). So I never understood why they were so liked anyway.

Later on I became somewhat attached to Leviathan. But the anime just butchered her design and attitude too much for me to feel even a little attached to her anymore. She's described as childish and clumbsy, but neither of these traits are shown in the anime, neither is her crybaby attitude... so I feel indifferent towards her anime counterpart. In fact, it kinda bothers me when I see her in the anime now. Nothing like how I (or many others according to fanart and interpretations of her) saw her. =/

I grew to like the Stakes when I first saw them in EP3 and when they first appeared in the anime, I found them interesting... but I found nothing groundbreaking about them personally. (Not that there's anything groundbreaking about the Siestas. But I found them to be delightful. ^^; )

I never really liked the fanservice though. Not with Shannon... not with the Stakes... not with the Siestas. So I can understand if some are annoyed because they feel like their inclusion was only to provide more fanservice and such. I guess in a way that's kind of true, it's not like Ryukishi had to design their outfits like that... but whatever.

Besides, by the time the Siestas came, I was already sick and tired of Eva-Beatrice. I found EP3 to be less interesting once she came... and I found her to be terribly annoying. So there was no way a new character could have annoyed me or put me off any more by that point. ^^;