View Single Post
Old 2013-02-28, 19:10   Link #61
yogotah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulquiorra View Post
Kishi did write one truly evil character. Hidan. He was the only character without any redeeming qualities and existed to cause pure chaos. His backstory was simply that he hated that his village was peaceful and killed people. That was it. Compare that to Kakuzu who was screwed over by his village and treated like crap after getting beat by Hashirama. The Jashin cult found Hidan and gave him the power and immortality to keep killing in the name of Lord Jashin. So basically crazy killer joins death cult bent on killing and destruction. No "Pet the Dog" moments for him. Even the other Akatsuki seemed to hate him. Kakuzu almost seemed pleased when he learned of his fate from Shikamaru during the war.

Why did Kishi deviate with him compared to the other Akatsuki and villains like Madara? Probably because he didn't want any sympathy for the character when he killed Asuma. And he wanted fans to cheer when Shikamaru owned him. Kishi hasn't repeated this since, even going as far to give Orochimaru somewhat of a sob story. Never mind what he did with Kabuto, Sasori, Nagato, Konan, Deidara, etc.
That's right, I almost forgot about Hidan. I guess he was the "fantasy land " evil person that just liked to kill and destroy because he genuinely enjoyed it.

I think you hit the nail right on the head when you wrote that Kishi just made Hidan the "evil" man to make us feel no sympathy for them, especially if they were to kill Asuma (which by the way, I had no previous attachments too, we barely ever saw him do anything..but I digress).

I think the way Kishi portrays villains are very realistic, like I've said before, everyone has had good intent in some parts of their life and to ignore that is just intellectual laziness.

That being said, once someone has turned completely evil, meaning that their ideology has totally become cemented and demented, then I don't have a problem with them doing evil acts or the hero destroying them without their chance at redemption. I mean we can't have every villain repenting a minute before their death and thinking about how wrong they were; let's at least make some of villains determined and committed to their ideas and die with them...like Danzo did (boy I hated that guy)
yogotah is offline   Reply With Quote