View Single Post
Old 2006-06-23, 19:45   Link #85
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by rooboy666
...They're both slice of life comedies about friends in school. They're not identical by any means (Azumanga is funnier, Ichigo is more touching), but I would always recommend Ichigo to someone who liked Azumanga because they are as similar as two slice-of-life shows are going to be. Nobue-oneechan is my favorite part of the whole series.....
For me, Ichigo Mashimaro is much funnier than Azumanga Daioh, and in a completely different style. In my opinion, Ichigo Mashimaro is the funniest anime ever made (as well as being touching and humane). That's probably because it just hits the kind of subtle (?) absurdity I love. A couple of episodes of Suzumiya Haruhi come close. But in any case, I hope you're right that Azumanga Daioh fans would like the show, since I believe it deserves a wide audience.

I agree that Nobue-oneesan is terrific. I can't put what Nabatame Hitomi does with her above Orikasa Fumiko's inspired performance as Miu, but Nobue really is the glue that holds this show together.

As for dubs, I can't stand them. It's like covering up the Mona Lisa with a copy by someone in art school. It's a slap in the face to the excellent work of the original voice actors and reduces the quality of the work of art. If I were watching Meryl Streep or Adam Sandler or Kate Blanchett, I'd certainly want to hear their voices rather than someone else's, wouldn't I? Having to read a subtitle is a small price to pay for getting the real thing. That's true for any anime, but for this one, which has the best ensemble voice-acting cast I've ever heard, I think subtitles are almost immoral.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.