View Single Post
Old 2010-07-11, 23:24   Link #168
james0246

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiking_Bear View Post
Truthfully, we can't tell how tall Tobi is in the flashback. So, while 20 cm is still a very reasonable number for a growth spurt, it's pretty much just a 'straw man' number.
Actually, just looking at how much Naruto, Sasuke, and the other genin changed in height over 2.5/3 years (from 13 to 15-16 years old), 20 cm is a drastic, almost unrealistic for the series, change in height. Specifically, it took Naruto 2.5/3 years to gain 20 cm. During the same time period, Sasuke only gained 15 cm. And the other Konoha 12 followed a similar path, generally only growing 10-15 cm within a longer time period than Obito's death and the Kyuubi attack (1 year).

Personally, I think you are wrong in how you are looking at these heights. Specifically, the heights are based off of average Japanese growth patterns. Consequently, it is extremely unlikely that Obito would grow 20 cm in a year or less.

That being said, this character in 500/501 is most probably Tobi, and Tobi's height is known (Data Book 3 confirmed the height at 175 cm (the Narutopedia page combines Tobi and Madara's information, but in reality only Tobi's height was given in the book, with Madara's information left undisclosed))...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiking_Bear View Post
It doesn't really have to do with likes or dislikes, but with the lack of any good alternative theories. Kishimoto has spent a great deal of time concealing Tobi/Madara's identity and teasing us with glimpses of parts of his face. To reveal an aged Madara underneath the mask serves no purpose. What kind of plot device would that qualify as? It's not irony; it's not dramatic irony; it's not a red herring (it's the opposite of a red herring). Tobi/Madara = Madara wouldn't provide us with any revelation other than the provocative thought that Madara developed a weird mask fetish over the years.
Actually, Obito would be the red herring...

Something is obviously up with Tobi, that much is clear. But, Obito is such an obvious answer, that, to me at least, if Obito is in any way connected to Tobi, I will feel majorly jipped. People have been predicting that Tobi was Obito since the character was introduced back during the end of the Rescue Gaara arc. For Kishimoto to confirm that hypothesis now, after dragging us through all this Madara crap, would be the silliest writing.

Tobi will be something, but I doubt he will simply be a wrinkled old man, or Obito...
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote