Thread: Licensed Dance in the Vampire Bund
View Single Post
Old 2010-01-07, 16:38   Link #272
billborden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saber Cherry View Post
I found the first episode quite disappointing. If they want to make anime original episodes, that's fine, and honestly it's not hard to make them better than the original manga. But starting with an original episode worse than the mediocre source is portentous. Aside from the fact that it was boring, it implies that the director doesn't really understand the concept of the series - it makes no sense to have Mina demonstrate on live TV that vampires are dangerous, crazy monsters that can't be trusted around humans and that their "leadership" is incapable of preventing even the most lowly peons from wreaking havoc at will.
Actually, Mina does demonstrate quite clearly that her leadership works..."Die!"; and other than that, everything that happens on the TV show, is, at least, a reflection of what happens in the manga. They needed to compress the series set-up as much as possible, and that's what they did. I don't think that compression was the best choice or that this was the best way to do it, but then I also think that they should either do fewer tankōbon or have more episodes. As it stands, I think that the director clearly understands "...the concept of the series", he's just re-writing story to get to where he wants to start. I'm not willing to write the show off yet; I'll watch the next few episodes to see how much damage was done to get the compression they needed. It's still entirely possible that they will pull a good series out of this.