View Single Post
Old 2012-06-28, 02:31   Link #1335
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

Tasogare Otome x Amnesia. My Thoughts

To tell you all the truth I didn't cover this show back at the start of this about-to-end season. I recall back then that I made up my mind about which shows I chose to watch in the spring season.

It was probably at the end of April that I happened to come across with this series that got blogged at Divine's Randomc.net

The screenshots for episodes three and four intrigued me alot due to the animation strongly reminding me of the animated works by SHAFT, and it wasn't until the fifth episode got blogged that it hooked me up to watch immediately this anime, starting from episode five to backwards into the start.

To be honest, the moment I heard for the first time the OP theme song I was blown away quite metaphorically, because it was not only so beautiful but so powerfully good that I said to myself that Another should had featured an opening song like CHOIR JAIL
Along the way, I learned that actually SILVER LINK was and is the studio responsible for delivering such haunting but beautifully epic animation, because the way how Yuuko got animated was not only pleasant to me but also mesmerizing.
Her most prominent features that captivated me watching her on sight were how neatly they animated all of her face- her cheeks, the outline of her eye sockets, the bright of her eyes, her gaze, her mouth, her lips- and finally her long, windy hair.

Too bad that since in the last episode Yuuko got all of her memories back along with her true personality, then we won't be seeing her again in her sensual mode seducing Teiichi so sexy like she did in the first five episodes.

Regarding the episodes itself, I stand up dividing the storyline in two arcs:
- One is the mellow arc (episodes 1 - 5)
- The other the Shadow Yuuko arc (episodes 6 - 12)

The first arc chronicles Yuukos' antics along with the rest of the Paranormal Research Club finding out about the history of school's Seven Mysteries to which all of them somehow revolve around Yuuko.
As the name implies, the episodes played during that arc were very comical and light-hearted in tone, specially if you saw the fourth one about the pool scene. However, Shadow Yuuko roamed around those episodes to remind the audience that not everything was well and light within the plot.

That brewing omen became the main focus of attention in the Shadow Yuuko arc when Teiichi started to become deeply involved with the mystery behind Yuuko's death and dissappearance of her memories.

As most people know, this show can be said to be a supernatural romance delivering horror elements, but the horror featured is delivered either as to how other people aside from Keiichi imagine to see how Yuuko looks like a stereotypical portrayal of an undead spirit, or the horror comes from the very stupidity found in human nature which both episodes six and ten ghastly showed it to the audience, as prominent examples.

In life Yuuko was a prime example of a selfless human willing to help others, and I sobbed watching the circumstances leading to her death. That's because what they did to her was unfair, uncalled for, and stupid. I mean I cannot even imagine how would person feel if he or she is thrown into a deep well, a deep basement, or a deep cavern with no possible way to escape. Add that the victim found under that despairing and desolate place gets injured and can only wait days after days alone in the dark waiting for death either through starvation or lack of oxygen.
Yuuko as a human lost it like anyone else in her position would have acted, but she was able to restrain herself at the last minute before dying from hating and cursing Asa, because she didn't wish to blame Asa as the cause of her doomed fate.

Believe that I cried profound watching the events that led to her death, and I cried in joy during the eleventh episode when Teichii confessed to the Shadow Yuuko that he loved both of them triggering the miracle that enable both Yuukos to merge into one at last, and thus clearing her regrets at that time.

As for the finale, I won't join the discussion, since I see that there are lots and lots of people more knowledgeable than me about the subject, and it's more fun for me to sit and read all of your posts.
But, what I can say about the ending was that I cried along with Teiichi when Yuuko came back.

To conclude Tasogare Otome x Amnesia was a show that I originally didn't intend to watch, but I was won over after reading about it from a blog.
First, it won me over with its animation style centered around Yuuko, and it immediately won the rest of me with its constructed plot, and 3D-believable characters.

After Yuuko, Kyrie's definitely my second favorite character from the main cast, and I didn't have to wait to learn that she was a relation to Yuuko due to noticing that both sport some physical semblances, specially if I looked at their faces holding similar features; from the mellow arc, the fifth episode is my favorite centering mostly on Kyrie.

So, basically this was the second show of the spring 2012 season that I concluded, and I will definitely rewatch it for the Halloween season.
Guido is offline   Reply With Quote