View Single Post
Old 2008-06-10, 16:05   Link #1119
Tempy
Σ(。д°(o--(ಠ益ಠ )
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comartemis View Post
Question for any psychology majors present:

The OC I mentioned in one of my last posts is slated to be an artificial mage used as a guinea pig by a TSA scientist secretly involved in illegal research on AMs, artificial linker core enhancements, and unison devices (He's getting away with this because he's got the Main Branch's Regius-equivalent covering his ass for him. He's also connected to the guys who made/experimented on Agito). The plot I have laid out for her involves her being used as a test subject for a new Unison Device which goes far better than her captors expected. She busts the limiters placed on her wide open before losing consciousness, whereupon her Device initiates a Unison Accident and blasts a path out of the lab. Shortly thereafter, the two are encountered by Hayate (who was visiting the lab for a surprise inspection on account of an anonymous tip pointing to the scientist's experiments), who talks down the Device after a short but intense battle and takes both the device and the mage into protective custody.

Now the question is: if a person were to suffer some sort of severe, personality-altering trauma (such as being raped or subject to prolonged excruciating pain) and then have their memories of that trauma erased via Repressed Memory-type amnesia, would their personality reset to the way it was before the trauma occurred or would it remain the same?
From what I understand of psychology, it differs from person to person. However in this situation, having her personality reset would not be out of place. She could retain fragments of her previous personality, a subconscious change, or just completely revert to her pre-trauma personality.

Or you could toss it all into the wind and create the Third personality, the persona spawned after the amnesia to cope with the current outside world. This would make original and the altered personalities suppressed unless a certain even triggers those repressed memories.