View Single Post
Old 2012-09-12, 21:26   Link #553
Adigard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimapan View Post
I can think of two reasons why it wasn't used here, even though there should've been some effect by it:
1. The author forgot about Battle Regen once it served its purpose, as he never intended to use it a second time.
2. The author explicitly disregarded it, because it wouldn't have been convenient here. He might've thought Kirito constantly regenerating health with BR would've made Kuradeel less threatening.
Did we watch the same episode?

Kirito is plainly seen to be bleeding, a la a Damage Over Time effect... from the fact that he's got a sword stuck in his body that's being pushed around inside the wound.

In fact, it's made even more obvious because of the 'pixel' blood spiraling out of the wound, and the fact that his health is quite quickly draining out of the bar.

The PK'ers several episodes ago, even with all of them, never pushed his HP beyond 5-10% down... so a slow tick of health returning would easily counter the damage they were dealing. Conversely a slow tick of health returning would not so easily counter the fact that a much higher level player with likely better equipment had a sword stuck in his body being pushed around inside a wound. I imagine if Kuradeel decided to stop pushing swords around in his opponents body for more than a few seconds we'd probably be able to see the HoT affect, but a weak HoT isn't going to offset a powerful DoT. No?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimapan View Post
As was apparent from several previous instances already, the author doesn't seem to set great value in consistency, so consistency is handled very loosely here. New stuff is introduced whenever it's convenient for the story and generally quickly dropped again afterwards, when it has served its purpose, to be never heard of again.
Got a few examples? There are certainly some glaring issues in the LN's of this one, but less in the anime. The only thing I can think of, off-hand, are the details surrounding Scillia and the whole Pet Tamer 'class'... an arc which introduced us to other elements which have been a consistent and reoccurring plot point.

Last edited by Adigard; 2012-09-12 at 21:40.
Adigard is offline   Reply With Quote