View Single Post
Old 2006-07-24, 17:54   Link #297
Noodlehead
Noodlehead is not edible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kauldron26
im not sure how old you are, if ur a guy or girl, or how long, and deep ur previous relationship was... I am a black 22 year old college Senior on my way to med school and i can honestly tell you that his reaction was absolutely real and not wierd. When the woman you love and have practically devoted your life to, wants to commit suicide there is no way in hell you will not be supremely angry/pissed/frustrated. i know anime romances can be sweet and cute, but they are not always that way in the real world... and the greatness of honey and clover is its realism. When you really truly love someone, u cannot always express it in a tender way. The whole "tender" thing ends after ur freshman year of college and im telling you this from experience.

After your freshman year of college, u reach a turning point where you can choose if u just want to continue to fool around with girls or if ur ready to try a real relationship. Relationships in college become deep as hell because there realy isnt any superficiality because u see each other every day and u get to know each other more because ur live in the same campus. Unlike high school, u cant be fake because there is a high chance that everyone will get to know the real u n college. Its a time of self identity.

Back to Mayama's behavior... it was perfect and realistic because that is a goddamn absolute human reaction. You will use any means necessary to protect the one you love... even if its from herself. My sophmore year of college my girl thoought i cheated on her (because her friends thought they saw something they didnt) and she then came to my room to literally beat the shit out of me and then leave. So she comes in, interrupts my viewing of the phenomenal Gundam Seed, and then starts drilling me with questions, cursing me out and then proceding to hit me multple times... this is all before i speak. And then she decides to walk out the door and then i flipped out and started yelling and then cornered her. Not because i had bad intentions but because i loved her so much that she had to know the truth by any means necessary....

My point is, when u really love someone and that love is in danger, all that cute and sweet shit goes out the window... real, raw and unfiltered emotions come out.

The girl u love will not always love you back and that hurts like fuck (if u r a guy we've all been there even if u look like brad pitt).... the simple fact that this anime depicts that so well, truly astounds me beyond words. I think Mayama and Rika's love story is the best i have seen since Hachimaki and Ai from Planet ES. If u've never seen Planet ES, i highly recommend it, its #3 on my all time favorite list, its a masterpiece.

Anyways enough rambling... i hope to God Honey and Clover didnt just peak with this episode... This episode for was just too great for words...
Wow. You bring up some very good points. It made me realize what drew me to Honey & Clover in the first place -- the fact that everything the series depicts, aside from the amiable and nostalgic moments, is so painstakingly true-to-life, regardless of how "harsh" reality may be. That goes for the aspects in the first season of how things were left unresolved and unanswered when it came to the romantic couples in the show -- because in real life, everything is not resolved instantaneously.

I think the reason I was rather shocked in seeing Mayama act the way he did when Rika left was because I wasn't aware of her decision to commit suicide. (Yeah, I'm slow.) So when he abruptly grabbed her, I'd been sort of confused -- and surprised, I guess you could say -- of what was going on. When her demise had been made clear, a lot of things hinted earlier seemed to fall into place. That's when I realized the cause behind Mayama's actions, which, of course, in his given situation, were very rational ones.

And I've heard a lot of good things about Planet ES. I've been planning to start that series for a while now, but never quite gotten around to doing so. Your recommendation has motivated me to start watching it.

Thanks for your informative post, it was very insightful.

~ Noodlehead
Noodlehead is offline   Reply With Quote