View Single Post
Old 2011-11-15, 05:46   Link #2212
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyl View Post
Him being dragged by everyone around him is paralel to the current state of japan if you can still remember episode 1. Also his daily life was only shown at school in episode 1 and 3. It's not like he has been sulking about his life the entire serie. His whining in episode 5 does seem reasonable to me, because he is forced into a harsh combat training. Something that he has never done before.
Well, to me it looks like he's sulking over everything in his life since Episode 1. That's the impression I've got and the only time that's changed is in the few seconds of action where he goes all serious mode; but that's not much of a change since sadly he reverts back completly after the battle is done. =_=" It's like with Ichigo in Bleach...

Quote:
The fact that he wanted to protect something stems from the fact that he thinks that his life feels too much like the current japan, being dragged by others. He wanted to protect someone or something to break free from this cycle.
Well yeah. But I just find it really hard to feel any sympathy for that goal because of how aimless it is. I won't do something, doesn't imply change, just means you're stagnatting. I'm pretty much against this let's do nothing and wait for it to fix itself type thinking too.

And we kind of got a pretty clear "I want to do something" at the start of the series, so Shu's either stupid and forgetful or the writers are being indecisive.

Quote:
Unlike the funeral parlor, Shu was only involved recently. They have been fighting longer than him and they probably have better reasons to fight than Shu at this moment.
Hence why I don't like it... the protagonist should be the most motivated idiot there.

Quote:
You are jumping to conclusions way to quickly when most of the plot has not been revealed yet. You may think that some of meetings were pointless, how can you judge that when the series has not even reached 1/4 of it's total yet.
Fair point. Sorry I phrased it wrong. It's basically pointless not for the entire series but for the current buildup. Just like I can't say it's bad, I can't imagine it as good either. I just don't forsee anything enjoyable plot coming out of this Gai x Shu subtext.

I've enjoyed shows that do this kinda of wasteful strategy (as in have them as favorites), I just don't like it in general. Wish we could just evolve past this style.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thundrakkon View Post
I really don't like getting into this type of discussion, but for this once, I will try to give an example.

Say for instance, you are a Dallas Mavericks' fan. They win the NBA Championship, and you are in quite a positive buzz. You only have great feelings and great things to say. Along comes a negative person that says that the main reason why the Mavericks won is because the referees "helped" them win. Whatever enjoyment you had is now tainted with this negative remark. It does not matter if it is correct or not. It is just a fact that you threw a wrench in someone else's fun, and you want them to feel as down as you are feeling. Negative feeling is contagious, and it ruins the fun for others around.

If you are going to a party with a group of friends, but there is one friend who is currently very negative and down, would you want to bring him along? Usually not because he would bring down the mood of the group. You would most likely leave him at home.

This is all I want to discuss about this for the thread. If you want to continue this discussion, you are more than welcome to PM me.
Spoiler for slightly off topic: