View Single Post
Old 2006-08-24, 20:42   Link #13
arias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valdra
and finally Lunar : Silver Star Story Complete for the playstation, which I should've played years ago but finally am. Simple and not altogether fun battles but a reasonable difficulty level, good music and a great script = fun classic RPG.
I've heard Suiko II is the best of them all. Which is why I have it ready to play in the future, along with Breath of Fire IV, Front Mission III and Kartia.. all for the Playstation

As for Lunar: SSS, I don't even remember whether I completed the game. I think I reached the final dungeon and didn't feel spurred on to complete it.. regardless, it is quite a classic RPG. There is nothing inventive or innovative in it when you play as a modern gamer, but I suspect it was quite great in its time and that RPGs thereafter did take it as a prototype, lending its elements to build on.

For some reason, I still have a great liking for reasonably high-resolution 2D RPGs (Chrono Trigger is an exception despite being low-res). Perhaps the pixel art reflects an anime style more than anything else, and I'm hopeful that some future games will continue to utilize pixel art! : O It's painstaking work, but I really like its aesthetic presentation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamui4356
I'd suggest you spend a bit more time on it. Once you get the hang of the battle system, it's one of, if not the best of any rpg series out there. Though the plot, it does get better, but still I suppose you'd have to be a fan of the series. It never reaches great.
Then I'll probably not play it Reason being, as much as I like fighting in the BS of RPGs, I can't spend that much time on it these days. Digital Devil Saga was an exception because it was so darn fresh and good, so I bore through that game despite its ridiculously high and hard (for modern standards) random battles. I've heard the SO3 battle system being lauded, and I've seen my brother play SO2 and it looked really dynamic.. but I wish they had a more gradual learning curve for beginners. The tutorial presented in the beginning of the game taught ALOT with little tiny fonts..

I got through the battles in the first two hours fine, but somehow felt unsatisfied. Perhaps one day I'll pick it up again.. I reallllly like parts of its music though. The one I love most is the save game theme (?). It's like elevator music, but oh so good..
arias is offline   Reply With Quote