View Single Post
Old 2008-01-06, 01:32   Link #76
Kyuusai
9wiki
*Scanlator

Send a message via AIM to Kyuusai Send a message via MSN to Kyuusai Send a message via Yahoo to Kyuusai
When I was a wee lad, my father signed me up for seibukan lessons, but the lessons were slow, and I eventually stopped due to time constraints.

In junior high, though, I met two friends, one of whom was a black belt in tae kwon do and an assistant instructor at his mixed kung fu dojo, and the other a friend that sparred with him. I practiced informally with them, and thoughout high school and college we practiced bits from other styles we weren't formally trained in (including some Japanese fencing... with wooden practice swords. DO NOT REPEAT THE RISK-TAKING OF MY YOUTH!). Their form was always better than mine because of my desire to learn something new once I'd reached adequacy instead of instead spending time perfecting my technique, but I got to the point where I was sparring on the same level as them.

If you had to pigeonhole me, I'd say my style is jeet kun do.

I need to fill some of my holes by studying more kung fu and aikido and starting jiu jitsu (grappling is a serious weak point in my knowledge). I'd also REALLY like to study capoeira. I am several years out of practice (and it was poor practice to begin with).

I await patiently
the gift promised to me.
Kyuusai is offline   Reply With Quote