Thread: HD wars redux
View Single Post
Old 2008-01-11, 22:53   Link #47
grey_moon
Yummy, sweet and unyuu!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbes_fan View Post
realistically the next format will last 10-20 years if history is anything to go by. That's 2020-2025, by that time the tech savvy teens will be the either finishing college or entering the workforce. They will be in a better position to drive the direction of consumer technology. Right now and in the next couple of years or so I really don't think you'll see much change. CD/DVD sales are steady, they're reducing but quite slowly. This generation of consumers is still tied to the 70's,80's, 90's method of distribution (dinosaurs like me included). The next generation is not (basically anyone 20 and under). They've grown up with readily available broadband internet, p2p, digital distribution.
That again is dependant on country. Japan has had their version of HD over the air for a while, whilst UK is just bringing theirs in. China went S-VCD when the rest of the world went what? The popularity of mini-disk adoption was very much country specific, but broadly I would say USA and Europe pretty up match what you say, but Asia do not as they seem to love new things. But being anime fans I think we very much have to keep in mind what Asia follows.