Thread: Licensed + Crunchyroll Chihayafuru Season 2
View Single Post
Old 2013-06-22, 17:20   Link #1372
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
If his memory was better, he'd remember what match he's playing instead of getting confused.

To me, "memory" is a whole. It's the ability to remember, at any given point in any given match, where the cards are and what cards have been read. Taichi is superior in that area. But saying he has trouble forgetting is the same as saying he's sometimes mistaken in his recollections, and that's the same as saying his memory is flawed. It doesn't matter if he's mistaken because he's remembering a previous match or if it's just because his memory is hazy in the first place.
I don't think memory works that way, but who knows.

Quote:
IMy point is that his height, or rather, the length of his limbs, is playing a part in his speed. If he was too short, no matter how much he practiced, he wouldn't be as fast. And aside from height, there are other, more subtle limits on how much good practice can do for him. That he was able to take it this far - it's "talent".
I didn't say there was no talent at all to this, did I? I just said it wasn't an immediate advantage like having a super ear and really fast reaction time. And it's true. It takes work and time to develop your arm speed, even if you have some talent, but the super hearing is something that (besides being somewhat unrealistic) you can use since day one. For example, Chihaya already had a clear advantage since the first time she played when she was a kid, thanks to her superior hearing and reaction time, even though she was totally untrained.

Quote:
Sure, but do you think he'd just give up on karuta if he didn't have it? "Hard work beats talent". I think it means almost anyone can beat someone who only has talent if they put in the work. Not anyone can develop arm speed like Arata, but that just means they need to work on something else.
I don't disagree with this. If I was talking about Arata's arm speed especially is because you brought it up. Although, since Arata's and Taichi's playing styles have similar principles, Taichi will probably start to work harder on his arm. After all, he can be faster than he is right now, and he knows it. He also needs to work on his physiological state, of course. Learn to keep it cool and all that.