View Single Post
Old 2009-05-17, 19:09   Link #2
escimo
Paparazzi

Now, first it's to be said I'm no expert on the subject...

I can see a few issues here. First of all, your brother doesn't clearly recognize that he has a problem. You getting riled over the matter doesn't help on that front. The best way for you to approach the situation would be, trying to have a calm conversation with him over the subject while he's not playing. If you try while he's immersed in the game he's most likely going to see it just as an annoyance and not even try to listen what you have to say. Getting him realize that there actually is a problem is vital.

The other problem is an authority issue. I'm guessing you both live at home with your parents. Your brother most likely doesn't see you as any kind of authority figure so your notes may sound to deaf ears. Maybe discussing the situation with your parents and trying to come up with some kind of solution with them would work. You taking action over the situation alone might be taken as a personal attack which will probably not help at all. Getting your parents setting some limits to his gaming will probably prove more effective.

You didn't specify how long this has been going on and while that's not necessarily relevant, it might be. I personally have had a few streaks with games spanning a few weeks while I've been glued to a monitor or a TV-set for unhealthy lengths of time but in all of these cases I've either gotten tired or frustrated enough to stop or have simply finished the game. While finishing is really not an option with CS the other two are still on the table. So if this is something new maybe just seeing if it's just a fad might work. If the situation stretches for longer maybe some sort of intervention is in order. If everything else fails, there's professional help available also for gaming addiction.

Limiting your brother's time on the computer would probably prove the most effective way of tackling this thing but it has to be done right. The best option would be having a serious conversation with him about the issue, setting a specific rules on how he's allowed to use his computer and if he fails to comply with those, having your parents either confiscate the laptop altogether giving it to him only on specified times. However it's vital that your brother knows why you're doing this so opening a conversation is in any case the first step. If you fail at that I'd go as far as saying the problem is serious enough to justify getting professional help.
escimo is offline   Reply With Quote