View Single Post
Old 2009-08-08, 01:51   Link #77
CatQueen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante of the Inferno View Post
I don't know if this was ever raised, but I couldn't help noticing that Reina never once fawned over something cute in Perfect World. Now, there very well may not have been anything cute left in Hinamizawa (that, and there wasn't a dump).

However, a thought:

Was the cuteness obsession simply a character trait that Reina created for Rena? This includes her trademark white dress and beret. I know that screen time was very limited, but it struck me as strange to see so much of her character altered, which made me think that much of what was seen during seasons 1 and 2 was her "altered" ego.
You make a really interesting point here, although I'm not sure about the dress. From the TIPS, I remember reading that "Hau" is like a magical word that can make Rena happy. But because her parents never divorced, Reina didn't change her name, and Rina never entered Rena's life and gave her the need for a place to get away(the dump) where she could find "treasure". Reina didn't have to become "Rena" and had no real need for cute things to bring her happiness.