View Single Post
Old 2011-05-19, 09:09   Link #190
OceanBlue
Not an expert on things

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyth View Post
None of them have really moved on in the sense that Menma's death is still an issue preventing them from achieving happiness. Menma is a reminder why they're miserable. To each his or her own, they've lost something important, not just a dear friend.
I believe Reckoner had mentioned this already, but such things are inevitable, especially for the two characters, Jintan and Yukiatsu, who believe they were responsible for Menma's death. It isn't a simple matter of, "Oh, my childhood crush died. Now I'll do ridiculous things to overcome my sorrow." They both believe they killed Menma.

That being said, cross-dressing is still a very strange idea, and something that definitely needs explanation. I'm going to reserve judgement on it until I understand completely why it happened. I don't think people can just attribute it to Yukiatsu being sad though.

Tsuruko and Anaru don't seem to have exaggerated problem with Menma's death. Tsuruko so far only mentions it as something that has already passed, and Anaru shows a reasonable amount of sentiment [I'd say she's more stuck on how Jintan is affected by her death] for someone close who passed away five years ago. We still don't know much about Poppo, but he seems to take the, "Bringing back Menma," thing as something that would be good, not something that would cure his emotional scars.

If anything, I'd say that the only reason it seems like every character is so bothered by it is because we see things from Jintan and Menma's point of view.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
Similar devices, involving the supernatural and the spiritual, but used vastly more effectively, because they don't dominate the story, but rather enable plot progression without distracting from the drama unfolding onscreen.

That's the kind of "realism" I enjoy, which I find lacking in AnoHana.

Again, I'm of course fully cognisant that all of our arguments stem from subjective views. But if viewers are not willing to open their perspectives to accept criticisms, then there is little room for discussion.
If anything, I'd say the problem lies in your use of the term "realism", rather than any sort of subjective view. It's entirely plausible in the circumstances that these characters find themselves for the self-cognitive ghost to wonder why she can only interact with one person and for this character to want her old friends to bond again.

I can accept that Yukiatsu cross-dressing is really unrealistic [again, I'm personally suspending judgement] and I can accept that you don't like how involved Menma is with the drama [a lot of people have already said that they were bothered how the plot wouldn't have moved forward without Menma], but I don't understand how Menma being so involved in the drama is unrealistic.

Edit: Just to explain, when you say, "That's the kind of 'realism' I enjoy, which I find lacking in Anohana," it suggests that supernatural elements that don't dominate the story is the only kind of realistic supernatural story. I don't believe how supernatural elements affect drama has anything to do with realism [in the context we're discussing it, anyway].

Also, I will check out that recommendation. Thank you.

Last edited by OceanBlue; 2011-05-19 at 09:21.