Thread: Licensed Kokoro Connect [anime]
View Single Post
Old 2012-07-29, 01:46   Link #612
Pocari_Sweat
<em style="color:#808080;">Disabled By Request</em>

Send a message via AIM to Pocari_Sweat Send a message via MSN to Pocari_Sweat
My thoughts after ep4:

Firstly, I would like to congratulate Kokoro Connect for being BOLD. As funny as this sounds, the more I watch Kokoro Connect, the more I akin it to Wandering son from a year and a half ago in that it tries to take ambitious "awkward" teenage topics and instead of ridiculing them for the sake of comedy, it's trying to take a serious approach to it. I am completely suprised and pleased at this drastic change in approach compared to the first episode. Ever since then, it's becoming more and more "substantial" and "purposeful" instead of body swapping romcom shenenigans. Of course, there's plenty of lighthearted moments here - just this episode had me loling at two different moments when both Taichi and Himeko admitted to fapping over each other .

However, the comparisons end there as I think it's not comparable in execution of Wandering Son (which for those who don't know is about a series that deal with gender identity and teenage "puppy love" and all the baggage it carries). There were indeed moments of mood whiplash. The two characters admitting they were fapping over each other for one, and the conversation between Iori and Taichi. The topic at hand was far too "serious business" given the atmosphere that was set up prior to it. I don't know, but I can't quite put a finger on why I thought the episode was not as good as it could be, but something definitely felt off due it being "more serious business" somewhat abruptly than I wanted it to be.

And then we have the PV of next episode. Now, if this was a PA Works production or something I'll just laugh it off (since they are almost always trolls), but considering it isn't I'm hesitant. If I think that is what I saw, then it appears it goes full out melodrama with Iori jumping off what I think is a bridge. I am mixed at this perceived and speculative development.

Otherwise, overall excellent episode. Once again bravos to Kokoro Connect in being bold and ambitious which alone puts its better than 90% of slice of life animes out there.

Last edited by Pocari_Sweat; 2012-07-29 at 02:19.
Pocari_Sweat is offline   Reply With Quote