View Single Post
Old 2006-04-04, 08:28   Link #60
Slayerx

Well i don't know much about Oda... just that he seems to care more about the anime version of his mangas then some other manga writer.
Saying that he doesn't care about what happens outside of japan though is very believable...

Personally, i would hope that he would react HIGHLY negatively to the 4Kids butchering of One piece, just as Hayao Miyazaki reacted negatively to the first american dubbing/butching to Nausicca...
Nausicaa was orginally released here back in the 80's but the editing of it was horrible. i haven't seen the editing myself, but from what i heard, it was as bad if not worse then what's currently happening to One Piece.

though i would hope that Oda doesn't react AS negatively... cause Miyazaki got so pissed off that it would be 10 years before he would allow his movies to be released over here. And i wouldn't want to wait THAT long for a decent dub...
actually, then again it might be worthwhile... since i'm watching the subtitled, i really don't care about the dub... and 10 years is long enough for people to forget about the 4kids version, and the new version would be seen by an audience that is unaware of the 4kids version...

Plus side though, when he did agree to lience his films here, he made sure the contract had something like "thou shalt not edit without my permission" added to it... something that One piece so desperatly needs...

grant it, i gotta remember that Miyazaki actually had the authority to make those decisions, and Oda does not... though it would still be nice to atleast know that Oda was pissed off about the editing...

Personally, if i saw my work getting butchered like this, i wouldn't care what country it was... i would have been throughly insulted and would have reacted like miyazaki