View Single Post
Old 2011-09-17, 11:24   Link #17
Slick_rick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Well, there's something that maybe we should consider here.

Maybe Ikuhara is sincerely arguing through the MPD narrative that family should come first, and that it's right for people to deeply care about their parents and siblings, and to go to somewhat extreme lengths for them.

Kanba and Ringo are the proactive protagonists of this anime so far, and each has had many scenes where s/he's made to look 'cool'. Both have also gone to extreme lengths for the sake of family.

Shouma is the all-around nice guy who hesitates to take extreme measures to help his sister, and he's been victimized by the plot more than anybody else. If this anime has a "buttmonkey", it's Shouma.

At this juncture, maybe we should seriously consider that this does in fact reflect Ikuhara's personal worldview.

We don't need to agree with Ikuhara's worldview, of course, but maybe this is what he's saying.
I'd say that be completely contrary to his views if we consider the family relationships in Utena. For example Nanami and Touga, she put him above everyone else and was cruel to others because of that. It was portrayed very negatively in that light and in the end, she got better, i.e got past that obsession. Same thing can be said of Miki and Kozue to a somewhat different extent.

I expect him to take some middle ground on both guys are extremes are called extreme for a reason. You can almost always accomplish something without going to them.