View Single Post
Old 2008-10-30, 23:11   Link #58
Thelastguardian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanutbutter003 View Post
I still dun get what her answer meant...

Can someone out there clarify this airhead here?
Spoiler for Novel-version spoiler:

Spoiler for Anime-version spoiler:

Pick whichever one you like.

Back to the episode-
I am glad JCStaff decided to keep the Taiga's crying scene. Taiga is crying because she is feeling inferior towards Ami.

Ami is the polar opposite of Taiga- Ami is thin, tall, popular with everyone, is a friend with Kitamura, even has a name close to Mercury from Sailor Moon (ie cute)- things that Taiga are not.
This is why Taiga asked Ryuji all those questions. Why does Ami possesses such a horrible personality, yet has all the things Taiga lacks.

JCStaff made this sub context very subtle in the anime, but it is there, and man am I glad.

BTW here is a breakdown of the characters

Ryuji- Fearsome on the outside, kind on the inside
Taiga- Beautiful and wicked on the outside, kind on the inside
Ami- Beautiful and kind on the outside, wicked on the inside (but not evil)

One will notice that personality wise, Taiga and Ami are again polar opposite (there are many cases of character foils in this author;s stories).

Taiga does not try to control her feelings. The feelings that do make it out are neurotic behaviors that frighten everyone. Of course this is more like a habit of her to hide her inner self so that she wouldn't be hurt by others again (spoiler censor).
Ami also has trouble expressing her feelings. But inside of letting her emotions run wide, Ami chooses to hide all her real emotions behind a "natural airhead" front so that people will accept her- an act that Taiga can never brings herself to do.

Which is why when Taiga hears Ami the first time, she instinctively dislike her- Ami is against everything Taiga believes in.

Ryuji is an even stranger case compared to those 2 girls. Ryuji is not beautiful, nor does he needs it; he is very kind and understanding. Something that those 2 lack. Naturally, the 2 girls are drawn to him as such. Maybe, just maybe that they too can become something similar to Ryuji's personality. Then they would not need to put on such acts (whether it's running wild or hiding true emotions) and people will accept them as who they are.

Kitamura probably understands Ryuji's influence as well, so he tries to get Ryuji to know Ami in hopes of such possibility. Kitamura has ran out of ideas.

These three characters make a great character study, I am telling you.

1/Most of the stuff above are just my deductions. They may or may not be true. It is hard to tell.
2/I hope I am not spoiling too much stuff.

Last edited by Thelastguardian; 2008-10-30 at 23:39. Reason: added some more stuff