View Single Post
Old 2009-09-08, 02:18   Link #52
KiraYamatoFan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoldierOfDarkness View Post
Let's be fair here, even if they did who would they put in charge?
If you asked me to be serious, I think a huge promotion for Captain Eleanor Varrot would have been welcome from the high commmand or the Princess herself.

We have to look at a number of criteria (no particular order): 1) amount of respect earned from his/her subordinates, 2) good experience in the force, 3) prestige earned by accumulating victories and 4) willingness to weigh all options before making a decision (mainly tactics). Eleanor Varrot has quite everything along these criteria by being fully respected by all the men and women serving under her orders, accumulating almost 20 years of pretty good and loyal military service, she used her personel very well to earn many key victories (no matter what people say about tactics used), and she always keeps a touch of realism before making decisions (unlike Damon's rash decisions based on illusions).

In times of war, when a general doesn't do his job as supreme commander in any campaign, you should expect him to be removed. Also, you should expect to see more of that until they find one who will be successful as a leader and a tactician at the same time. You know, both the French and German armies replaced a lot of generals as supreme commander on the Western front in WWI: Joseph Joffre, Robert Nivelle, Helmuth von Moltke and Erich von Falkenhayn were replaced, just to name a few.

I like reading history as a whole and I sometimes compare Cap.Varrot to Canadian General (Sir) Arthur Currie. That man was quite the best among Commonwealth generals by developing a single division of Canadian volunteers into 4 divisions of effective shock troops (that reminds me of the Gallian militia), but didn't reach the rank of supreme commander because he was Canadian and not British (just like Eleanor didn't come from traditional military background). It's quite a shame to think Eleanor would never get that rank for all kinds of unfair reasons when she would have made a fine general in chief for the time being should the war being extended because of Damon's incompetence, forcing Princess Cordelia to take action.

Last edited by KiraYamatoFan; 2009-09-08 at 03:09.