View Single Post
Old 2011-08-19, 14:49   Link #2276
Mahou
ダメ人 - 人間失格

@Haruna & Yui: Both stay quite well in their respective character role. Yui as (one of) the local tsundere and Haruna as the timid + shy childhood friend-type even if she's not by 100 %. And in here lies the basic problem. Yui progressed while still staying in-character eg. her scolding whereas Haruna just remained the shy + timid girl. Her greatest development might have been in TLR1 where she told Lala about her feelings for Rito, but after that? Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against the shy + timid girl archetype. It *is* possible to give them proper growth without drastically changing their in-character behavior, it may just not be as interesting/funny generally as with other archetypes. I think that for Haruna to progress and not instantly slide into a RitoXHaruna ending, Rito must lose his Haruna-only mindset. It will eventually get boring to see each confession attempt being interrupted if there are any further ones.

As for Yui: In TLR1, she was - for my taste - relatively late introduced and I didn't really care for her due to Lala-fanboyism. So I thought the mangaka had to put more emphasis on her development in order to put her on equal terms with Lala + Haruna. And by now her progression "speed" has imho been quite impressive. Maybe not as impressive as with Yami, but still quite fast, ignoring that I usually do not try to analyze/look in-depth into manga development. Her valentine chapter is only surpassed by her first TLR: D + perhaps the current chapter.

Last edited by Mahou; 2011-08-19 at 14:53. Reason: worst typo ever
Mahou is offline   Reply With Quote