View Single Post
Old 2013-02-09, 13:56   Link #220
SPARTAN 119
Unleashing the Homu-Rage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kudryavka View Post
lol I like how they made Denpa Onna Psychoelectric Girl, so why did they change "Seishun Otoko" so much?? Unless there's another pun I'm missing.

Another dumb English only title, Mangagamer's Higurashi When They Cry. It'd be fine to either keep it Higurashi no Naku Koro ni. Or change the whole thing to When the Cicadas Cry. Or just change it to When They Cry to keep it open to the later Koro ni titles. Or just call it Higurashi, because god knows the only people who would dare buy their translation already know the games by just Higurashi. Instead they make the stupid decision to half translate it, then write it in this poopoo Englishy way. Higurashi When They Cry?? No colon?? Why? And who is "They" in that phrase?? Even When the Higurashi Cry would be better, though it would still suck.

Either translate the whole thing, or don't translate anything and just transliterate it. There's a difference between preserving untranslatable language differences and being lazy. Don't do that.
That was exactly my opinion on the Mangagamer's Higurashi title, its like they tried to translate it and not translate it at the same time! In my opinion, the best option would be just to leave the title as Higurashi No Naku Koro Ni.

Also, I never got why they called it the Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. Melancholy typically refers to sadness, despair, the complete opposite of Haruhi's personality.

I never saw this, but a few yearss back there was an anime called Legend of the Legendary Heroes. According to a Japanese-speaking friend, the title was just as redundant in Japanese.
SPARTAN 119 is offline   Reply With Quote