View Single Post
Old 2009-12-08, 12:46   Link #112
Sol Falling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_fh View Post
I believe that if something alters your body/mind in any way and you have no idea who made, how it works and what are the dangers of using it you should probably reconside using it.
Look at this way - the only way to gain a power is to tamper with the body/mind.
This means that the only way for the LU to level you up is to mess with your mind/body.
You have no idea what this might cause (explained in my first point) unlike the official way since it has been tested and it is safe. That doesn't mean the LU works in the same way thus it's alos safe. The LU just tampers with the brain in some unknown way. The fact that Kuroko was surprised by it being a music file shows that it works in a completely different way than the official "power giving" method in AC.

Really? If by using the LU you go into a coma how is that not a side effect?
I don't want to spoil anything about the LU at this point so I can't say what's a side effect, what is the main purpose of it and how it actually works but it doesn't change the fact that the people that use a LU go into a coma.
About the part "why it must have dangeous side effects" see above. You are using your meta-knowledge of how the LU actually work to dismiss the health risk but none of the characters in the anime knew what and how the LU really worked.

I mentioned the potential health risks that come with using the LU and they should be the most logical from what she knew at the time.
The fact that her fear was apperantly not based on that simply showed that she didn't even consider them in the first place when in fact they seem pretty obvious even if they are only potentionally there. Of course it might not cause any harm but it also might kill you by causing your brain to go haywire. There' no way to know that for sure. Not considering tham doesn't mean they are not there in the first place.
Also she did ignore the theory Kuroko made about the LU users having a tendecy to commit crimes which was based on the facts they had at that time thus making quite the sound theory at that point. Since she is the one investigating this her oppinion has enough credibility on it's own.
She didn't consider the health risks and she didn't even consider anything Kuroko told her. What if she turned violent and started trying to kill people like the bomber guy? She would have gone to jail and forever having to bare theconsequences that followed plus the scar of hurting her firends (in this case mostly Uiharu) and betraying them for the rest of her life because she didn't think about how dangerous and inconsiderate her actions were.

It's not a question about law-abiding at all - it's about considering the dangers and the consequences of your actions to you and to those that you care about.

Sorry for not adressing all your points but those were the ones that caught my eye plus you're actually talking to Shinji and not me in the first place.
Guy, seriously. Cancer? A stroke? Paralysis?! Acquire a basic understanding of what actually causes these things before you go all 'uahhh a sound file my brain!!1!' etc. etc. etc. Try to understand: it's the (physical) body that shapes the (non-physical) mind, not the other way around. Listening to a sound file cannot cause a cell to grow uncontrollably, clog your arteries, or degenerate your motor nerves. The only thing a sound file could possibly do to you (aside from shatter your eardrums if you play it really loudly) is alter your mental state. The kind of stuff you are saying is utterly impossible, and any reasonable person would know that.

You've also got a completely wrong idea about the 'level upper users tend to commit crime' issue (in case you're not clear about this, go watch episode 9 again: this is all Kuroko says about crime and level upper). Tending to commit crime does not mean level upper causes it. Rather, it is obvious that the correlation is caused by the fact that people with criminal intentions are more likely to make use of it. If you didn't have at least a vague purpose in mind for the power Level Upper would give you, why would you use it in the first place?

Not to mention, the idea that Level Upper somehow hypnotizes its users into being criminals is a huge stretch by any standard. It's a tiny .mp3 file that's already got its hands full trying to give people superpowers. Adding a mind-altering component to it would be stupidly complicated (not to mention, what's the point? From a design standpoint).

Please let me reemphasize that Kuroko never even suggests that Level Upper causes people to commit crime. The idea that Level Upper could turn her into a criminal would (rightly) never have even crossed Saten's mind.
Sol Falling is offline   Reply With Quote