Thread: Licensed Girls und Panzer
View Single Post
Old 2013-04-28, 17:18   Link #6394
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkhangelsk View Post
To be fair, they didn't exactly rule out all possibility of replicas, just that second handers and restorations are the rule (主流). Further, those buyers able to get any tank really makes you wonder...

Nevertheless I have mixed feelings over this solution to the problem. It is canonically consistent - Yukari won't be quite so moved to see rare tanks like M4A4 (only 75 made!) and Maus if they can just be "punched out" new from a factory. However, it doesn't make a lot of sense to have tanks of "genuine lineage" as the norm. Sure, it might be a plus point for mania or "high class" Senshado clubs like a pedigree dog, and I can understand a market where they are sold for tens of times of a "replica tank", but for the public high school level certainly this is un-necessary and replica tanks are good enough.

One must turn to rather dark theories involving certain people who want to protect their trade, to include the second-hand dealers and old-time Senshado organizations wanting to preserve their superiority by keeping a hold-down on the more powerful tanks (they can't stop the Shermans but at least they can keep people from getting large numbers of higher tiered vehicles to challenge them).
My belief is that even though there is a market for tanks, there isn't enough demand to seriously produce brand new ones in any large quantities. That only schools use them, and as such it is known how many potential buyers there can be for any one tank model. The issue is that the more tanks you sell, the less the tanks are worth. The real money, like with real life cars, is in the replacement parts. I think the manufacturers did their math and decided there is no long term future for building a tank factory. No doubt someone out there would be building tanks by commission, but they would be charging a premium that makes it worth it.