View Single Post
Old 2007-08-13, 01:03   Link #730
Mirrinus
Bemused Scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperlion View Post
But Death Note is not a comedy, for show like Death Note I usually watch till 3 to 5 episode to see if the get interesting. For a comedy I usually I watch one episode to judge it, since for a comedy there is no plot twist of some kind and the writing of the first episode basically reflect the rest of the seires. So to me Lucky Star wasn't funny enough to watch it, still I might be misjudging it if as Nenkitsune is correct and they change the director then I might give it an another shot. But if the rest is the same as the first one then this show deserve to be used frisbees.
Actually, I dislike such a criterion for comedy as well, since jokes are vastly subjective and usually always will swing from boring and trite to fun and enjoyable even when coming from the exact same source. It sounds rather cynical to assume that no comedian can alternate their style, or that all jokes of a particular style won't make you laugh. If that were the case, then I wouldn't think very highly of Ouran High School Host Club or Azumanga Daioh at all...because neither first episode got me laughing all that much, and it's suppose to be a comedy/parody. However, from what I can see, it would naturally get better as you become more familiar with the characters that perpetuate the comedy. This is true of almost all comedies that are character driven rather than mere inane slapstick. And that's the reason that I've seen many Lucky Star fans give.

(Strangely enough, I seem to know more Lucky Star fans in RL than fans of most other non-mainstream anime, including those that I didn't even know watched anime. Just today, I found out that a friend of mine who's never even heard of Haruhi Suzumiya actually loves Lucky Star as well.)