View Single Post
Old 2009-08-27, 04:44   Link #36
Cipher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Um, you look kind of awkward telling me I don't understand the power situation between the ultra-rich and the rest of society. You don't seem to understand the situation nor what I know about it and many other things -- there is no "nuclear" on the aristocrat side (been through the Cold War as a systems analyst, played that game). What they fear is the small group or individual with nothing left to lose and a rifle, road-side bomb, or other assymetric violence. This isn't something I just came up with. Read the writings of William F Buckley or Noam Chomsky, especially on the aspects of the power dynamics between the haves and have-less. Keep the masses relatively happy and they'll leave you alone.
I can tell the "terrorist-like" danger potential of the "peasants" but if you compare it to the totalitarian power of the one in command, it only counts as meager. And too add to that, I didn't really see, based on my readings, how "happy" people were during Stalin's reign. Political power can be used in many manipulating and rebellion-suppressing ways.

Quote:
Others, like the modern day members of the Kennedys and the Rockefellers (and the Gates family) have a clue that they owe something to the society that let them thrive.
Well I'm pretty sure they learned that from their tycoon contemporaries(e.g. Ford). Though I can't quite agree that they've helped "enough"---The more the better.
Cipher is offline   Reply With Quote