View Single Post
Old 2012-05-28, 05:28   Link #43
lightbringer
M9000

The implication of this episode was simply that since he's teaching highschool math he uses math notation for variables (lowercase x, y, z) and constants (lowercase a, b, c)... more-so if he's teaching polynomials where this is the standard convention. It's a bit silly since normally he'd just wrote down the class name as it's written on the plaque and not specifically convert the upper to lower case, but it makes for an easily solvable puzzle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRanger View Post
Don't really understand why someone who is familiar with math would use lowercase 'a' and 'd' - I do plenty of math for my major and I always kind of just use upper and lower case interchangeably.
I'm not sure what you do for your major but normally these are not really interchangeable. Plus, there are often specific concepts attached to the uppercase letters (A can be the area for instance, A=hw). Though I suppose this is more of an issue in physics, where pretty much every Latin and Greek letter, upper- AND lowercase, carries some specific meaning.