View Single Post
Old 2012-11-04, 13:19   Link #125
Metaneo
Anime Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utsuro no Hako View Post
Then it's a good thing I didn't say that. What I'm calling absurd is Kawahara's choice to use rape as a plot device to show how evil Sugou is -- in doing so he's trivializing the whole situation and pandering to the male audience to provoke feelings of protectiveness.
I see nothing to provoke feelings of protectiveness on behalf of the male audience. Now this board may be just a small portion of the population that watches this show (very small,) but I see no one aside from the people claiming feminism/sexist on this arc claiming that. Hell I think most of us here are hoping she gets herself out of this situation, whistle hurting sugou in the process.

The absolute and only reason I can see Asuna being the one put in this situation or even in this situation is because it's neccessary for Sugou to further his primary objective of taking over RCT company. The fact that he gets to torment Asuna and maybe end up controling her is just a bonus to him. His plan would be stopped before it even started if Asuna was concious and able to do anything at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utsuro no Hako View Post
There's also the issue that in real life most rapes don't involve a woman getting kidnapped and locked in a cage by Captain Evil. If you want realism, it'd be more likely that Klein once took a girl back to her apartment after a date, started making out with her and refused to stop when she told him to, or that Lizabeth once went to a party, got drunk and woke up the next morning naked in a hotel room.
Go up to a person, man or woman since that seems to be everyone's issue here, that was raped/molested after being kidnapped and tell them that it doesnt happen very often and that it's "absurd." See how many teeth you still have afterward. Even if you say what's absurd is the author using it as a plot device, it's still highly offensive. A plot device is a plot device, the intentions behind it and how it's used are what matters, not that people's personal opinion of it is that it's stupid and the "easy" way out.

Spoiler for Save space:

I say good for her, she doesnt want to write that, I say more power to her. I agree with her completely. What's "absurd" was THAT letter from THAT fan. Using rape in a story does not make it bad, it does not make it poor writing. As I said before, it's a plot device, what the author does with it from here on out will define whether or not it was a good or poor choice.

Oh and will you please stop with the complaining about how Sugou acts, it's his character, I know plenty of them in real life as sad as that may be.
Metaneo is online now   Reply With Quote