View Single Post
Old 2007-09-21, 18:47   Link #16
Claies
Good-Natured Asshole.

Animation Quality: 7
The artwork is amazingly mediocre for something from KyoAni. Until now, I'm still not sure whether it was a low budget anime, a light project for trainees, or intentionally done so to reflect the basic quality of a 4-koma. However, you can definitely tell that the animation smoothness has the KyoAni touch. I really loved the random 3D scenes, and I wished there were more after Anime Tenchou's first appearance...but apparently not.

Voice Actors: 10
Superb. Not dramatic when the situation isn't (as 4-komas usually don't), and not over the top when it is. Hirano Aya may suck at singing, but she handled the spectrum from Haruhi's sharp, traditionally tsundere speech to Konata's adorably and very believably childlike tone. Other characters, like Kaori Fukuhara as Tsukasa and Kaoru Mizuhara as Misao, also scored great hits. Shiraishi can't sing, but you know what...you can't deny he's hilarious in conversation.

Script: 7
It really should be 10 if not for all the Haruhi advertising and Lucky Channel. For this rating, you really need to read the manga and do the comparisons, and then you'll find that it's actually pretty flat when up against the anime. I'm very, very pleasantly surprised that KyoAni pulled such lively personas and events from this. It certainly takes a lot of imagination and skill on their part. While LC was pretty bad and probably should have been much shorter, it does have its funny parts. You just wish those funny parts happened more.

Editing: 6
Very hit-or-miss. Many transitions were sudden and warp you away from the storyline just when you think something should be happening, and then over to something else completely unrelated. Oh well...it's a 4-koma.

Emotional Involvement: 8
This is biased - I get emotionally involved in a lot of things that I watched. However, nothing has gotten me so hooked as Lucky*Star. The personalities are very believable, nobody is perfect, and everyone is beautiful. The depression I have now stemming from the end of the series is a pretty good indication of that. It really felt like they left you behind, and here you are standing at the airport watching them disappear, remembering all the good times you saw them have...or something. In real life, I tend to be the really quiet one in the corner, and I listen to conversations and feel the emotion in them, even when I might not know what they're talking about. As you can see, I had lots of fun watching over the characters.

Final feel: 9.5/10 --> 10/10

And guess what? It's easily the most influential animes of the year. Through its run, Konata's face was on anything printed by and/or for anyone otaku. There has not been an anime so controversial and polarized for quite a while. Quality or not, you simply cannot deny the fans all over the series. You want to see the next flash mob over Akihabara for Motteke! Sailor Fuku, and you know it.
Claies is offline   Reply With Quote