View Single Post
Old 2012-03-01, 18:29   Link #986
SonicSP
Sonic!I AM SONIC!!!!!

Send a message via MSN to SonicSP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revolutionist View Post
Anyone else think Flit is going to be Patrick Zala 2.0? I was rewatching episode 16 and some of the stuff he said was pretty out there. For a 40 year old he's still pretty damn bitter over what happened to his family and Yurin.

He says he's going to hunt them down and kill them all, and then proceeds to snap at his subordinate for even suggesting that he might be a bit too harsh on their enemy.

I've been very critical of the Veigans, but I think Flit is being irrational and immature. You would expect his opinion to change as he grew up.

Granted that his experience with Veigans weren't exactly positive, after all, Desil is a psychopath, but Gera Zoi wasn't that bad (tbh his death was kinda touching). For someone with a genius-level intellect Flit seems very narrow minded, he hasn't even stopped to think why perhaps the Veigans have turned down the peace offers. He just chalks it up them being inhuman, but perhaps the terms were ridiculous or unfair to the Veigans?The Federation abandoned them in Mars, and covered it up, they also took a hero like Grodek and sent him to rot in prison. They don't exactly have the moral high ground....

Will there be a conflict between Flit and Asem, or will getting his ass handed to him by Zeheart make Asem see things Flit's way?
Well you have to take into account the fact that Flit lost his parents, Bruzar, Yurin and two home colonies to the Veigans all those years. Those aren't things you can easily sweep under the rug and forget, its easy to say or tell someone to forget something but its another thing entirely to do it. The Veigans certainly don't forget the cirsumstances they live in and what the EF did to them and it drives their cause still. Not to mention that there has been at least one attempt by the Veigans to seed infighting within the EF space and that the Veigans themselves interrupted a society without wars prior to their invasion. Its just a simplified rationalization you do when you see the enemy do the things you despise to you personally, the emotions are hard to forget especially if the conflict is still going on. The same thing goes for the Veigan side, the likely remember the suffering they go through (even Zehart remembers it) due to the EF's actions and it drives them to their ultimate goal and maybe even lack of empathy for the EF civilians; at least for the army in general.

Also note that while we don't know the terms offered to the Veigans but if they are driven by an insane culture of revenge that has cultivated their society for generations (by a charismatic leader very likely, given how they keep using his name out loud and praise how awesome of a plan that is). Not that I'm confident that the EF aren't going to be offering the best of deals (because they're hardly paragons of Best Government Ever), but I suspect the Veigans are going to accept nothing less than them being made supreme rulers of Earth because that's what the ultimate goal their Plan calls for.

Also, its important to note that the series hasn't really showcased much of the Veigan's worst acts in the war so far since it mainly focuses on the heroes's attempts to fight them. They've destroyed a fair number of colonies up to this point and there was little the EF could do to fight them until DODS mass production. Geera Zoi was in a very high (if not the highest) leadership position within the Veigan's campaign inside EF space, he is certainly involved in the planning and execution of some of the colony attacks at least, so its not like he's an innocent guy.

I think what we have in AGE so far is an interesting example of two sides in a war that has committed misjustices. The EF started it by abandoning the Veigans, which kinda had to go colonize because of the overpopulation problems back at Earth. And now they've created monsters who are back for revenge. Its the EF fault this started in the first place but even if they did wrong things, there's only a certain amount of concessions a government is going to make especially if the administration who made the decision is long gone. The public isn't going to be happy with concessions either because that means they will get mistreated by the Veigans and recent memories of loss by them isn't going to help so they will likely prefer war and war happens to sort out the winners and losers until one side wins or both tire of it.

I also have to disagree to some level about Grodek, he is a hero of some sort but he still broke laws to do it. If you steal government military hardware under false circumstances, under a false promotion and disobeyed orders, you're going to get it period. Grodek also has no qualms about manipulating the crew and letting a minor pilot his most prized MS in the arsenal just so Flit can help him out in the war effort. He was just as revenge driven as Flit is now. He did it initially to save lives and he has both initially and as a result of his victory on Ambat but he broke laws and chain of command to do it and he has to pay the price of his actions. Of they don't then every commander is going to start acting like that thinking it's okay.

Last edited by SonicSP; 2012-03-01 at 19:04.
SonicSP is offline   Reply With Quote