View Single Post
Old 2013-06-24, 08:56   Link #134
Endless Soul
Megane girl fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
The fact that you can exercise would rule out MG because it would be extremely difficult to exercise with easily fatigable muscles in poor MG control.
Yep, that's how I knew that it wasn't MG related (mostly) when I first realized something was wrong. Although, I was alarmed at first, thinking another MG crisis was forming, but after checking a few things like how much I could lift and how easily, I realized that a MG crisis was not happening.

Quote:
Your MG must have been bad to have to take Azathioprine for it.
When MG first hit, it hit hard. The very first sign was my left eyelid drooping, I couldn't open it all the way. Mrs. ES and I decided to go to the Dr. the next day to get it checked out. That day, as I was driving home from work to go to the Dr. appointment, both my eyelids were closing and there was nothing I could do to stop them other than driving with one hand, and holding one eye open with the other hand. Scary!

Medications were prescribed, but within a week after diagnosis, I was so weak. In the mornings, after resting all night I was somewhat ok, but I would get progressively worse as the day wore on. I couldn't hold my head up for very long, and my chin would be resting on my chest. My speech was very slurred. My eyes were going in different directions (that was very annoying). I dropped a bowl of noodles one night because I was so weak, I couldn't carry the bowl. I had a hard time climbing the stairs. I couldn't raise my arms above my head, so Mrs. ES had to wash my hair for me. This also made simple things like brushing mt teeth or even shaving a big hassle. Bowel movements were getting hard to control.

However, the worst part was the swallowing and the breathing. I dreaded every meal simply because I had such a hard time swallowing, and often ended up choking on my food, struggling to get it down. The scared look on Mrs. ES's face spoke volumes.

One night, about two weeks after being diagnosed, things finally came to a head and we decided to get me to a emergency room as I could barely breathe at all. I spent a month in the hospital being tested, intubated, and otherwise cared for and monitored. I also had a thymectomy. I was very popular among the medical staff, mainly because MG is rather rare, which is why I don't mind talking about it. I also lost about 60 pounds.

Quote:
Azathioprine is an immunosuppresant and one of th3 side effects is infection, which makes respiratory infections like pneumonia a possibility
Yep, well aware of that and managed to dodge sick bullets for the last 6 years, but I guess one finally hit me. Feel a bit better after this weekend by the way.

Endless "Keep going" Soul