View Single Post
Old 2013-01-27, 02:21   Link #3
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0utf0xZer0 View Post
Overheating doesn't damage graphics drivers, it can damage your graphics chip. And yes, artifacts can indicate overheating. But I don't think that's the case here - especially if it doesn't occur in other games or if you have less mods installed. If it's only Skyrim with many mods installed, I'd say it's either that the game isn't dealing with that many mods well or that your system's memory subsystems aren't keeping up very well - in particular, a lack of system RAM or graphics RAM can cause short lags when loading new graphical assets.

If you're really worried about it, you can try running Speedfan or a similar program that measures GPU temperatures in the background while playing then look at the results - and remember, a lot of high performance GPUs actually do run quite hot, Anandtech frequently finds cards running 75 Celsius and up when testing the cards under load.
Haha, I've only been playing Skyrim. I have no idea if this will happen in other games. I'll try some other graphically intensive games. I'll try The Witcher 2.

I have 8 GB of 1600 RAM, so it shouldn't be that. My GPU has 3 GB of RAM, so it shouldn't be that.

I would use HWMonitor. That should do the trick. How long should I play for? I was thinking of playing for 2 to 3 hours during the day (this Sunday). I'll monitor the GPU temps. I looked at GPU temps recently and I never saw anything above 60 degrees Celcius.

Also, that poster said this:

Quote:
Sounds like artifacting.
Have you checked the temps of your drivers while running the game? Dusted out your computer?
What do they mean about the "temps of my drivers"? I'm confused by that. Did they type out the wrong info? I thought drivers were only some types of software.