View Single Post
Old 2012-10-04, 14:02   Link #2369
Vsin
Aldracity

Porting? In a Captialist system? That's probably the one thing that I consider completely unbelievable in SAO :P

Seriously, it's not in any company's best interests to have someone's progress copied onto your service, nor have someone copy their progress out of your service, because in both cases you lose potential gameplay hours, and therefore opportunities to sell product (monthly fees, mictrotransactions, etc). There's the exception of console and old PC expansion packs, but those have been almost entirely replaced by just updating the one client.

Now that I've said that though, I really wish that a porting system existed, even if only within individual companies, and even if it was as "halfway" as the SAO - ALO port (skills carried over, items are corrupt). It would help remedy the issue of simultaneously having to start over and "destroying" any prior progress. Granted, that also means that individual-game loyalty would probably drop, but in return overall company retention rates would probably be better.
Vsin is offline   Reply With Quote