View Single Post
Old 2010-12-04, 08:00   Link #79
Itlandm
Porcupine

My problem with the class rep is not that she has mood swings, which pretty much all young people have. Or even that she keeps secrets, it is almost impossible to avoid. (Even I have things I prefer not to talk to my coworkers about.) But we are shown in painstaking detail that she is fully in control of her "faces", to the point where she can change her voice and her body language independently of each other from one personality to another. To her, life is basically a theater where she plays a role. Possibly more than one: We don't know for sure that the "dominatrix" role she plays with him is not yet another facade. It certainly looks that way in the glimpse we get of her alone at home. How many layers has this onion?

That is the big turn-off. Not having a multi-faceted personality, but approaching life as a performance rather than an expression of yourself. "If you are not you, who will be?" She is a completely different person inside and outside.

It is kind of tolerable when people are tough on the outside and soft inside, although it is not my favorite character type. But the other way around is just hypocrisy, and there is too much of that in the world as is.