View Single Post
Old 2010-02-19, 01:32   Link #120
Rajura
My wolfu is >> your waifu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Saw your PM just now.. sorry about not answering.

Explicit doujinshi is endemic to almost every series in existence - Spice&Wolf is no exception. It doesn't matter HOW innocent the source material is - someone has done a XXX fan manga of it. In fact... more than a few manga artists have done such doujinshi of other works themselves - which results in some quality work (XXX or not), some of which gets officially published in authorized collections.

I've probably seen the ones you came across and yeah... they were pretty shallow. The authors didn't seem to grasp that some more effort into the premise/storyline would increase the authenticity and ergo the eroticism.

I *will* say that, on average, japanese doujinshi does a better job of keeping characters IN character (unlike a lot of Western fan fiction I come across for series like Star Trek or whatever).... but.

But doujinshi are most definitely NOT canon... either they're wish-fantasies... or perhaps speculation about those "between scenes" moments. A lot of them are pretty immature or amateurish.
No problem, well done in multi-tasking by taking care of multiple things in a single post!

Yeah ホロ does kind of take care of the issue...

I guess what I find frustrating is that when I read a novel or manga or anything, I like to be able to relate to a character and put myself in their place. So, when I saw those I felt frustrated and even embarassed.

On top of that (and I know it was touched on but), when the set-up for a story is "Hey, since we're at an inn..." or "Ummmm... I'm feeling a little hard up, so... you wanna go at it?" I really don't relate well to that, because if I were to somehow in end up in that situation, I would likely find myself chewing on the head board of the bed, praying for a cold shower, or looking for a pastor FAST to perform the short, short version . Of course, as a friend had already pointed out to me, given ホロ's relationship with the church that last one likely wouldn't be an option.