View Single Post
Old 2006-01-10, 13:56   Link #25
Zafo
Then up comes Zafo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coefficientX
Yeah i know arial font is easy on the eyes, but it's just too simple looking.
I'm not asking for hair-color-matching either. Hmmm let's see...

Fonts like the above example are easy on eyes too right?

Maybe it's just me only. But i think the subtitles typeface do have effect on making an anime more enjoyable.
Pffft i'm just a greedy fan. And a crazy fan who watches raw, chinese sub, both doremi & SS sub of EVERY mai-otome episodes.
Actually the font and style you use here has an example is not very good. Don't just think computer monitor, think of anime clubs using a projector, or a LOT of people gathered around a small computer or TV. First, you want a "Sans Serif" font. One without the extra little flourishes on the end of the characters. Compare Times New Roman (with Serifs) to Ariel (which has none). You also want the letters clear and blocky. Look at a capital "A", you want the horizontal stroke the same thickness as the two diagonal parts.

Second, you want at least 14-16 point text.

Finally, colour and shadow. Light text (white, red, yellow, or bright green) with a dark border (black, blue, dark green) is best, and you want a *border* not a *shadow*. The example you have shows a very thin border, maybe 2 pixels, with a 6 pixel shadow in the down-right angle. Shadows are bad because they distract. A border should just allow the bright text to always have a consistant contrast they can stand out againt regardless of the colour of the video behind them, and never be distracting.

A border that is as thick as the strokes of the characters, with no shadow (ie, is even around the letters), and that is a dark colour to contrast the bright colour of the text itself, it best.

Teh best subtitles are easy to read, at reduced resolution or on a projector while you stand in the back of the room, and have simple no-nonesense fonts that get thier information across quickly and let you get back to watching the video.