View Single Post
Old 2009-07-04, 06:02   Link #2637
izmosmolnar
At the end of this world

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garet Jax View Post
A bit of potentially interesting news: J-List/JAST has announced a partnership with Nitro+. Demonbane is the first listed title.
http://www.nitroplususa.com/
Indeed. I'm really hyped that JAST is affiliating themselves with Nitro+.
Demonbane is the first title they are planning to release, hopefully soon. It seems really great to be honest. It has everything good: Lolis, Mecha, Lovecraft... And I've only read positive reviews about it so far (albeit it's anime adaptation is considered mediocre. animesuki thread about the anime).
It's sad that there was already a 50%ish fan-translation though, which might have been finished with some time investment.
The other title they are planning to release is Jingai Makyou, which also seems quite good. Did anyone played that in japanese (or korean)? I honestly don't know anything else about that title, besides the plot synopsis.
Plus they also revealed that Kazoku Keikaku (TL note: Keikaku means plan) is going to be the Gold edition.
Anyway JAST really going into the good direction with licensing titles with good stories.

On the other hand Mangagamer is also quite crafty, as they licensed Higurashi and Shuffle, which both has a considerable western fanbase. However both had/has some fantranslation in the works, and I feel kinda bad that the fantranslators' hard work goes unfinished and unrequited by the majority.
Shuffle has a 100% translation somewhere inaccessible, according to the translators, but now we never going to find out in the end, despite that it was one of the most anticipated fan-translation project few years ago (might have been on the same level as the FSN game).
I wish Mangagamer will be clever enough to negotiate with the Sonozaki Twins, because I really want them to feel appreciated what they have been doing in the recent years, and it'd also help Mangagamer if they could use the already released scripts which the twins wrote (at least it'd be quicker to release the question arks with that move, as the first 1,5 arks doesn't require any proofreading or TL). I'm secretly hoping they might also recruit the SF twins to help them in localizing Higurashi.

Plus they also have the license for Shin Koihime † Musou, another title with many positive response. Apparently it's sequel also has an anime adaptation (animesuki forum about the anime). However according to myanimelist, the original game -the one which gets localized- is going to have a different Anime adaptation estimatedly in autumn (AFAIK kinda like a prequel series to the above one). So if everything goes well the audience maybe able to play the game and watch the anime at the same time, like the japanese audience.

So MG effectively going to localize 3 promising VNs, and all of them is recognizable already in the west, thanks to their anime show. It is quite a good move, even though I disagree with demoralizing the VN fantranslations. However it's also speculated that they might announce something else later today, because the official announcements are going to happen a bit later. All this Mangagamer news we have is from their flyers so far.

---------------
Oh boy, that might be one of the best years for Visual Novels in english! We already had many great titles, but there is still more to come.
By a really rough estimation these are the VN titles we might see at the end of the year:
Spoiler for saving space:
Some of the links might contain NSFW pictures, be warned. That list is by no means complete, neither it is a genuine irrefutable prediction, and nor it is some kinda "urging" message to the fan-translators, it is just a strictly hopeful estimation entirely wrote by me. Don't consider it like some kinda deadline or something, just as some silly thing which might happen if everything goes well.
You can follow the progress for yourself by the links provided. And I apologize if I forgot about some Title, that list was just from the top of my head, and by a quick search to the various sites I sometimes frequent.

Last edited by izmosmolnar; 2009-07-04 at 16:12.
izmosmolnar is offline   Reply With Quote