View Single Post
Old 2012-05-10, 23:58   Link #8907
Wolfenstein

Quote:
Originally Posted by sungreentakeo View Post
After reading 145, I'm convinced that everything has gone exactly the way that Ajimu intended. I now feel extremely suspicious of what happened when Medaka pulled a heel face turn on Ajimu. Zenkichi has actually turned into a main character. I thought that was just a pretense to distract us from the conflict between Ajimu and Medaka in that arc, and Ajimu was using her abilities to temporarily make Zenkichi the main character in the same way that Ajimu temporarily allowed Kumogawa to win. Zenkichi in the current arc isn't just the underdog or someone you side with because you're raging at another character being a complete asshat.

Zenkichi has overcome what I felt was the biggest difficulty in his character. He was too normal, 'average', that he really didn't matter all that much. What is the relevance of a mortal in a world filled to the brim with gods, especially if the mortal isn't gifted with the coincidence/fate of being significant somehow like being destined to become a hero? I thought Zenkichi just simply didn't have the capability to compete with the ridiculous powerhouses that this manga is strewn with. He rarely did anything surprising or outrageous and mostly just reacted. He's definitely not the same Zenkichi he was beforehand.

I had a suspicion for a while that 'Devil Style' was going to be the final nail in the coffin of Zenkichi's character. Even other shounen main characters who have 'anti-abnormal' abilities still rely on coincidence heavily to succeed, even more so since coincidence was the only way for them to succeed against opponents that were always stronger than them. I thought that perhaps Devil Style would just keep Zenkichi out of the wierd and outrageous world that Medaka's abnormality (fate) creates, and essentially turn him into an afterthought that you hear about occassionally in the background. I had thought that maybe Devil Style had a hand in why Zenkichi simply didn't appear for most of the previous arc, despite him playing a critical role. That isn't the case at all. Zenkichi using his own version of altered god mode just raised a bunch of exclamation and question marks over my head. There is no question about it; Zenkichi having or even being capable of developing that ability at all is extremely surprising.

Moreover, I thought he was only going to get a moral victory in this fight at best. He actually defeated a 'godly' level character. He's still going with the whole weak and normal motif with all his talk about him being the weakest, but he did just defeat a character that could slice a battleship in half. What?

Something unusual is going on here, and it doesn't just have to do with the 'jet black wedding'.
Kinda this. I mean, I feel like the author is hiding something, I feel trolled. And he totally trolled me to shit with those glasses. He knew people would jump to conclusions regarding Parasite Seeing when they saw those.
Wolfenstein is offline   Reply With Quote