Thread: News Stories
View Single Post
Old 2011-08-10, 12:15   Link #15634
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by GundamFan0083 View Post
I'll remind you that the Democrats were saying this was going to be a sweeping victory for them and they staked the claim that this would be a referendum on the agenda of Scott Walker.
Of course they're going to say that. Was it realistic? Clearly not, but that morale and energy did net them two more seats.

Quote:
Since the Dems made such a stink about Walker's desire to end public-union collective bargaining, and went so far as to run away to other states instead of fighting against it in the WI senate, they deserve to be labeled as cry-babies.
They ran because they couldn't fight it in the Senate. The entire reason they fled the state, and not just the town or region, is because the Republicans were going to push the measure through with no input from Democrats, as fast as they could. Because it was a budget bill, the law required that both sides be physically present.

Once the collective bargaining parts where taken out of the budget bill, they could be voted on without the Democrats there, which they did, in one of the most disgusting displays of "democracy" I've seen. Keep in mind the entire debate was that collective bargaining was a budget issue.

Quote:
It doesn't matter if they had voted and lost, at least by staying and fighting they wouldn't look like spoiled brats using a recall to try and get their way.
That's just it though, they couldn't fight it by simply staying. The Republicans had the ability to push it through (thanks to their majority), and they were going to do it regardless of protests from Democrats. The only thing the Democrats could do to put a temporary halt to the vote and let people know what the legislature was attempting to do was to leave the state.

Quote:
That's not how democracy works in a Republic.
Being so against something that you are willing to risk losing your job by leaving the state just to halt a vote is more than I could ever say for many political figures. You call things like that spoiled and cry babies. I call it Democracy when people fight for what they believe in, and are willing to take great risk in doing so. There's a chance the Dems could have lost the recall efforts entirely, in fact that possibility still exists (two Dems are up for recall). But people are making their voices heard, even if the political process has the taint of interests and money.

You can't say a month of civil protests and an unprecedented number of recalls in one state isn't Democracy.

Quote:
It's not like Walker is making the better argument.
The WI Dems had a good argument against Walker and they stole defeat from the jaws of victory via their shenanigans.
Not only that, they made Walker and the WI GOP look brave standing against Union thuggery.
That was a very stupid move politically on the part of the Unions.
I can agree with your first comment about Walker, but the rest....we'll just have to agree to disagree.

Quote:
Americans want leaders not bullies in charge of government.
Then maybe the GOP should stop acting like bullies and maybe the Dems should learn to stand up for something more often.

Quote:
I used to be a Democrat.
Back when they'd actually stand and fight against the GOP rather than play the victim card every chance they got.
I can understand the sentiment, but let's not kid ourselves - the GOP is equally at fault for the unhappiness of Americans too.