Thread: Why Manga?
View Single Post
Old 2003-11-12, 10:47   Link #40
Spyre
"Soon"

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiQuid|J
I don't mean to continue the semi-OT American comics discussion here, but I've got a question. A problem I've always had with American comics is that nearly every one of them in existence has something to do with some sort of superhero with big bulging muscles. There's not a whole lot of variety in the genres available. I'm wondering if any American comic fans could recommend an American comic that ISN'T about superheros. Maybe a drama or straight comedy series? Do genre like that even exist? I stopped reading comics in 6th grade because I was sick of all the Super-this and Mutant-that's. And that's a big reason I discovered manga, though there may have been advancements in the last 10 years. Anyone?
Almost all indy books are not super-hero based. the entire DC Vertigo line is non-super heros. the 3 books I talked about before are not about superheros either.

for drama you could look at Strangers In Paradise. I cant think of any pure comedy series off the top of my head, but if youre looking for some great books with comedy elements check out Cerberus and Bone that I mentioned in my above post.

And I agree that manga has a wider variety of genres available, but that mainly has to do with the audience. Here people have tried to do new intresting stuff but there just isnt the market to support comics like that.

Snoopy: those "making of" books are very inaccurate. The only time when someone else draws backgrounds is when the art is credited as "layouts" and "breakdowns". This used to be more common in the mid/late 90s than it is now. Normally the inker's job (and theres only 1) is to go over the penciler's and essentially "clean" it. I won't argue with your opinion that comics are "terrible" but I do disagree. Its a shame you couldnt find anything you liked. And there are many advantages that comics have over manga... for example you could argue that enduring characters who survive through many different creator's interpretations is amazing.

There are +'s and -'s to both genres, and I'm happy to say I enjoy both.