View Single Post
Old 2008-11-13, 22:48   Link #13
ZephyrLeanne
On a sabbatical

/\ /\ /\ Oh, now I get it. I thought the two articles were meant to be interlinked.

Still, I'm against euthanasia for people who are still alive and kicking. For those who are brain-dead, that's a different story for a different place.

For whoever can still have awareness of what is around oneself - it is a miracle that he is still alive, whatever one has. One more day may mean one more day of suffering, but it gives you one more day to do something one has forgotten to do.

Then again, there are others who have absolutely no idea of what to do in their lives as they had, have (and possibly never have) purpose in their lives. That's pretty meaningless. Still, that, I feel =/= argument to go thru euthanasia.

For those who don't know what euthanasia is like, as someone who provides "pastoral care" (read - consoling and kind words - but I'm no nurse - I'm not even employed by the hospital!) It's actually rather painful. It's usually administered as an IV jab. The poison is not exactly anywhere near the fast-acting of Zyklon B in WWII. Nowhere near. It's so slow, it can take as much as 30 min in cases to kill.

The patient, while trying to achieve a 'merciful death", has to suffer just before dying. Compare this to someone who dies naturally. There is a huge difference. As far as i know, euthanasia is usually an order from the patient, not family/friends/doctors. The family has no choice but to accept. The doctor has no choice but to follow orders. I have no choice but to see the patient suffer more than ever.

Sometimes after seeing this, I run to the toilet and scream "WTF" in full. (In Japan, few understand English of THAT level) It's painful for the family too, but it's a choice they have to accept.

Therefore, I don't really agree with Euthanasia.
ZephyrLeanne is offline   Reply With Quote