View Single Post
Old 2009-10-14, 21:23   Link #260
Ricky Controversy
Frandle & Nightbag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
I personally hate the idea of Haruhi sacrificing her powers, or losing them permanently in some fashion. I've simply seen too many anime endings, Star Trek episodes, and even western comic book stories, that are similar to that; it's a bit of a cliche, really (this is especially true if Haruhi makes the sacrifice for romantic reasons; i.e. to appeal more to Kyon).

It would be a much bolder and more unique ending, in my mind, if Haruhi gets to keep her powers. The boldest possible ending, imo, would be to have Haruhi keep her powers, and learn of them, and us the viewer get to see how she copes with them on more than a very short-term basis, all the while maintaining relationships with her friends.

They say that absolute power corrupts absolutely. It might be nice to see an ending that tries to offer an antithesis to that for a change.

Mind you, while I hope for this ending, I doubt we will get it.
I'd agree as far as the actual powers are concerned: I'd want her to keep them. However, I also don't want her to end up still pinning her life's hopes on encountering strange outside forces. Especially if she retains her powers and learns of them, I'd hope she'd become a much more active agent in making the world extraordinary.

Also, with regards to what you said about her relinquishing her powers for Kyon being unsatisfactory, that would in turn rob Kyon of a major opportunity for his own growth, which would be to suck it up and say "I know a girl who is effectively a god, has caused me no end to trouble and is the last sort of person I'd wanted to admit existed...and I love her/care about her/whatever anyway."

So yeah. We're agreed on that.